Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Some pages (at random) don't load at all
Hi and first of all let me say thank you to all staff for this wonderful app.

I'm having an issue where, to a rate of 50% of times, more or less (depending on the file) whenever I open a .cbz or .cbr file, some pages are completely missing, and the program only shows the background (set to my preferred brightness).

The temporary solution I found to this was to simply open the file again. Then, the page which was missing when I reloaded the file starts showing again. However, by reading on I find most of times that yet another page is missing, having to reopen the file again and so on. Sometimes the file loads completely with all pages, and I can read the Manga til the end with no problems, but this is rare.

I don't think it's a problem with the files because they are various and from different sources. Moreover, they open with no issues in other softwares I tried. Yours, however, is my favorite for its simplicity and touch screen friendly interface. Would hate to abandon it because of this annoyance.

I'm using Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga Book tablet, in vertical orientation (I dont know if the problem happens in horizontal orientation because I don't use it this way).

It would be great if this got looked into, sometime.

If you need any more information on my part please inquire.

Thank you and once again congratulations on such a wonderful app!
Add Thank You Reply
hey thanks using the app!

May I ask how big are the file sizes you are loading, how many pages per archive, and what is the storage device you are loading the file from?

I've personally seen this happen if the file is large and it's being loaded over a network storage. I investigated this before and there is no quick fix to it because it's the network is actually being dropped as the file is being streamed over, an is most likely an issue with the UWP software kit.

You can can also try maxing the preload buffer see if that helps. If you can provide me with a download link to an archive that have this problem I could also take a look.

we'll probably just add a referesh button somewhere easily accessible in case this happens. A workaround you can do is turn on/off auto downsize or border removal to refresh page, at least you don't have to reload the entire book.
Hi! Immediately apologize for my speech!
This is google translator. But I think you will understand me.

I want to say that I also had this problem. (Using HDD)
According to my observations, this did not depend on the type of file. For it happened with .ZIP .RAR as well as unzipped files of type .PNG .JPG
If we talk about the size, it is from (~10mb/~30pic) and to (~350mb/~350pic)
Made changes "Preload Buffer", but it did not help.

But the solution was simple. Close/Open program.
Place of closure and opening matched. And I just kept reading further.

I hope you will support and develop it further.
Thanks for the app.
(12-02-2018, 10:43 PM)Ninja_Gah Wrote:  hey thanks using the app!

May I ask how big are the file sizes you are loading, how many pages per archive, and what is the storage device you are loading the file from?

I've personally seen this happen if the file is large and it's being loaded over a network storage. I investigated this before and there is no quick fix to it because it's the network is actually being dropped as the file is being streamed over, an is most likely an issue with the UWP software kit.

You can can also try maxing the preload buffer see if that helps. If you can provide me with a download link to an archive that have this problem I could also take a look.

we'll probably just add a referesh button somewhere easily accessible in case this happens. A workaround you can do is turn on/off auto downsize or border removal to refresh page, at least you don't have to reload the entire book.

Hi Ninja, and happy new year to all the team behind Comics++, hope you had a good one!

Thank you for the reply. I'm loading the files from a Samsung microSD Card inserted in the tablet which otherwise is very fast (as fast, or more, as the tablet's embedded flash memory). I'm saying this for the sake of information only, not to suggest anything technical. The problem persists, but a quicker workaround which I ended up accidentally discovering is to simply toggle fullscreen off and then on again (through the shortcut icon at the bottom right corner of the screen). The files have about 500MB in size and 250 pages, in average, but the issue also happens with files in the 200MB range.

It happened with virtually every file I tried to read so far, but to give you a specimen, pick any volume between 1 and 11 from Berserk from theanimehq.com, for example (its 502'ing right now from where I am but should be back online eventually), if you wanna test it out for yourself.

A refresh function sounds awesome. I would like to make clear that this app is already perfect for my needs even with its imperfections and above all I am very grateful. I'm just reporting it to try and do a part in making it even better. I know that must be obvious, but I think it must be said loud and clear sometimes.

Thanks again for your work and support!
Since you mentioned that toggle fullscreen works, can you try this next time you get a chance?

Read the book on a window instead of full screen, when it happens, resize the window. If it fixes it then it's an layout issue rather than file loading issue. This may be addressable in the future.

Can you also give me the exact spec/model of the device you are using? Also if you can pm me a link where I can get a sample of one of your archives?
Hi, I am having this same issue on a surface pro. Resizing the page does fix it but nothing I have tried prevents it from occurring again later. Happens on pretty much every comic at least once and I have a pretty varied collection from humble bundle and other sources. Easy enough to resize and move on but if I can help fix it then I can try whatever you need me to. Still the best comic app for non pdf files! Thanks for all the hard work!
(01-18-2019, 07:58 AM)donimo Wrote:  Hi, I am having this same issue on a surface pro. Resizing the page does fix it but nothing I have tried prevents it from occurring again later. Happens on pretty much every comic at least once and I have a pretty varied collection from humble bundle and other sources. Easy enough to resize and move on but if I can help fix it then I can try whatever you need me to. Still the best comic app for non pdf files! Thanks for all the hard work!

thanks for confirming that's it's a layout issue. It's fixable I have an idea of what might be causing it. I haven't had time to work on the app at all for awhile now I'll get to it when there's time.
I just wanted to say I see this occasionally, no obvious pattern on file sizes or content, but I only have CBZ files.

I normally find that switching "Page Mode" between the various options often resolves it for that page, as does sometimes just changing one of the other layout options, and even sometimes just a page forward/back; which I guess all adds weight to it being a layout issue.

FWIW: I have a windows 2-in-1 and normally read in Portrait Tablet mode.

Comics++ is by far the best reader I've come across, it otherwise just works, and integrates well with how I like to work/read (just browse my directory tree, I don't want complex "importing" or anything)